Sunday, May 8, 2011

Home From Holiday




 I'm home from my holiday and just watched this movie "Somewhere", its soooo shit, I can't understand why people keep giving Sofia Coppola money to makes films, every one she does is a piece of crap.  To think of all the talented people and good scripts that don't get made when she gets to make crap is sad.

I went to a bunch of display homes with neighbour today to look at what new houses are being built, whats in fashion, and how much it costs to build a new home.  Basically it costs $405,000 to live in the cheapest type of house 55 km from the city, that would take 3 hours to commute to the city in the morning.  It was very life affirming for me, that the decisions that I have made do stack up.  What type of terrible life would people who live out there have. Spending 5 hours a day traveling, to live in the middle of nowhere, with no culture, all of your income going to pay the mortage, with no left over cash for anything else.  My neighbour told me there is this thing called "The Tipping Point" when living in Sydney, because it is so expensive people have to choose weather to stay childless in Sydney, or leave and have children, because it isn't possible to have both for lots of people.

Sometimes doing "the sensible thing" just isn't sesible at all, all my partying and just living seem to look like a much better idea then being a slave to a ticky tacky box out west.  At the end of the day I've had a life thats been lots of fun, no one can take that away from me.  Being a slave to a mortage seems like a wasted life to me.   No amount of granite bench tops are going to make you feel loved, alive or hold your hand when you're sick and your chips are down.
Most people don't get to have everything in life, some people get to have very little, but if you're middle class, like me, then it seems like I have to decided what to put my energy into, and over commiting to the surburban dream doesn't seem like it pays back that much.  Who is it who keep selling us this dream as one that is worth having? and how many of the people who buy into it, wake up one day feeling like they traded their youth and life for a now 20 year old house and a kitchen that is out of style?

No comments:

Post a Comment