Monday, January 10, 2011

Envious, Delusional, Fabulous, Whatever


While over at a friend’s house having dinner cooked for me, I asked the audience of 2, is it ok to be down on a person when every relationship they get into its “the one”  I’m talking about serial daters that have about 6 relationships a year that last about a month each and every time, they take themselves and their relationship extremely seriously to the point of being completely humorless about their  past dating habits, and they expect you to be as serious and delusional about their past dating history  and their prospects of making this one work, as they are.  If your dating history denotes that you jump from relationship to relationship, and every time you’re in one, you have no ability to be introspective, why as a loyal friend who wants the best for your friends should I have to go along with your delusions?  I was told that I was being envious, because delusional daters are having a fabulous time.  Imagine that, every time you headed down the dating track you really believed you were dating the one, and everything was going to work out and be wonderful?  It would be like being on Prozac or living in a fairy tale.  No wonder they do it.  I can’t believe I hadn’t figured that out before.  But am I wrong or right to hang onto reality?  I would have thought I was in the right to not go down delusion lane.  But maybe what I should be doing is indulging in hopeless romantic behavior.   If no harm comes from these trysts, then perhaps I should join them?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I will be at the singles fuction on Jan 16. So say hi. I"ll be at the front door!

    ReplyDelete