Saturday, July 9, 2011

You've Got The Whiff of Loser on You



The funny thing is that when you most need help, no one really wants to be around you.  The more success you have, the more people feel like being around you, which just sucks, because when people are really down and out they get deserted, I walk past street people begging and wonder, if I didn’t have people who cared for me, would that be me?  I think it could be.  One of the harshest things I have ever heard someone say is “She left me saying I had the whiff of loser on me and that it was very unattractive”.  Ouch!  Success is a tricky mother fucker, I’m not sure what I think about it ATM, although I do think I am noticing that a lot of things that people think are important I don’t, and I often wonder if they have way worse sex lives compared to me, do people make trivial things important and blow them out of proportion in the importance stakes, because they aren’t getting laid and it if they are, they don’t enjoy it?
When I see people living out of an organizer, everything planned and scheduled I think do you schedule sex?
I am finding how I view myself in relation to success quite confusing and complex ATM.  I think I used to think I would be successful, but I guess I really haven’t been, which I think I have found very hurtful, and confronting and hard to explain to myself and family.  I have had an amazing week, a new car, first employee, and $44,000 booked in a month, if was able to maintain this, which I am not presuming I can, I would be on track to be running a $540,000 dollar business at age 31, solely, not bad at all and I would be ahead of the curve.  I guess I feel that at the moment I am in the bottom 20% for my age, and I hate it, if I was able to achieve this business goal I would probably be in the top 1% for my age, or even higher 0.5% or even 0.01%, 1 in 1000 people who can earn that money at 31.
Yesterday I hung out with my friend who is heiress to a sizable fortune, I then got off the phone to another friend who is worth about 100 million at age 31, I then met my cousin for dinner and we went drinking together, she is 45 kg 5 foot 6, tiny little thing, the original L.A. lolly pop girl, head on a stick, Sophie Monk eat your heart out, you will never be as thin as my 4 cousins, all of them part heiress to a sizable Australian fashion house, not Myer of David Jones, but top 5 after those two, think Australia’s Calvin Klein.  I used to think it was great having all these wildly outrageously out there happening people as my true and genuine close friends, but when I can’t compete with them, it sucks.  My sense of what is normal and achievable has been screwed.
At this point in time I am finding myself thinking that bad luck, has been just that, bad luck, it is uncontrollable.  Luck, it’s not really in vogue right now, people like the idea of being able to control and influence our lives and destine, but can we? I don’t think we can.  I am becoming a believer in luck.  The belief that planning can keep us safe and happy, is partly true, but ultimately not true, it depends on what parameters one is working with in.
Kerry Packer the richest man in Australia for many years, only believed in luck, when hiring for key position in his company, he would ask “but is he lucky?” he believed in luck over skill.  I am starting to join you Kerry, luck trumps all other advantages.  Without your health, you have nothing, and other than living healthily, how can one control your health, it’s impossible, its luck.
It looks like my luck is turning, I would like to believe it is, but it is scary to believe it, because disappointment is a bitch.  44K of work will mean nothing if I get sick again and can’t do it.  Has my luck turned or will I continue to philander?
I have other people counting on me for their income now, not just me, the weight of responsibility is starting to grow.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Cassius,

    thanks for this post.


    It has been a question I have had difficulties coming to terms with for the past few years, much so that I have even wrote to BRW magazine expressing my confusion that what is the point of success, when its all relative to others. and when you're in a room full of winners, where exactly do you stand?

    I have been working my ass off for the last 5 years, and business has peaked and its in decline. Due to the high dollar, the economy and my general lack of passion for my work, it is slipping, but no doubt others would give an arm and a leg to be in my position.

    But out of all this success I have become abit down and out. Always, the highlights always seem to fade so fast and then it becomes a never ending road to better oneself.

    To be in the top 1% of wealthy Australians is a great achievement, but I havent really allowed myself to enjoy my successes. It is always never enough. All the material things you can buy, they will never satisfy you, because at your core you are always thinking what can I do more of to earn more. And that is the ultimate cycle. To stay at the top is hard, and it has affected me mentally.

    I wish I could give it all up and move to the country, no doubt to the mountains where I could stroll through a thick field of wheat grass in my light blue jeans, white tshirt and creamy straw hat.

    The sun on my face and the warm breeze. But that isnt possible because the second part of this is that I have workers who depend on my vision. They need guidance, direction and oversight. Everything is linked into a web and it gets abit tricky trying to find your own time and space when so many people are after you.

    I truly wish that you earn money to live not the other way around like me. There are people in this world with money to last 10 lifetimes, but they arent truly happy and they take pills and drugs to escape. Its all abit sad when you think about it because when you are that rich you can take control of your own destiny.


    Perhaps we all need a revelation to push us into where we need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cassius,

    I am a regular follower of your blog and really enjoy it. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I am starting to blog on my own now and actually wanted to ask you a question about your blog - is there an email address where I can reach you privately? Please let me know at boywonder7@gmail.com.

    Thanks so much!

    boywonder

    ReplyDelete