Friday, October 8, 2010

Sickness and the City

I had childhood asthma and it has come back on and off again in the three years I have been in Sydney. When it’s bad, it’s really debilitating, to point of not being able to work, which is what has happened this week. I have had a weeks’ worth of work and I haven’t been able to do it, even though I desperately need to be working for mind and bank balance. One of these long periods of pneumonia and asthma last year was the first time I serious thought relationships made sense. I like the Hollywood image of a relationship, someone to have and to hold and build a life with, but the reality of constantly making compromises and the annoyance of the little things had made me enjoy my own company more than anyone else’s. But when it dawned on me that life may not be as wonderful as I had thought it would be; having some to have your back seemed the way to go.
But it bothers me that sickness, is what motivates me to partner up. Am I alone in this? I would love to know how many other relationships form out of need not romance. I don’t know how to find this out.
Maybe it is a matter of not finding “the one” yet.

On a brighter note I found out I start full time work on Monday, so lungs permitting, things are looking up. I will be working across all aspects of a large smash repair business. My boss is HOT, and a cool educated Lebanese man about my age. I have already set a goal of seducing as many of the hot tradies as I can.
I was in Northbridge after finishing inspecting a magnificent old sandstone house in North Sydney, to quote renovation it, and I went to the shops in Northbridge, and walking around I ate for free at 6 different stores that were giving out food samples. One was $100 per kilo Wagu steak, and even the Woolworths gave me a bowl of hot seafood cabinara, it was all delicious. I have know for a long time that the richer areas get better quality food, and the stores have to do good food, because the customers expect it, but today I had it reinforced again, the more money you have the more things you get for free. I live in Newtown, not a particular affluent area, and the produce in the supermarkets is appalling and EXPENSIVE! And they would never give free food away when there are people begging outside. I went to two free concerts last week because I knew someone who gave me free tickets, my brother has a black Amex and gets free ticket to theater shows, and we even went to a free night at Ferrari and Masserati fully catered. It saddens me to think that the more you have, the more you get for free and life just keeps getting easier and easier, and those who need a leg up, will never get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment