Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Big Weekend Ahead, Coming Out to a School Friend


Below is a letter that I am going to give to a mate who is a builder, and a top bloke, who I have been telling my sexual adventures to, but changing them from men to women.  We went to school together, but have only really become good friends over the last 2 years.  When we started hanging out I was trying to be straight, hoping that I would be, so the lie continued, crunch time this weekend, time to stop 5 years of lies.  He is gorgous to look at, and a nice person so I find it nearly impossible to not fantasise about him liking me.

Ed,

I need to tell you something and I am doing it this way as I am finding it hard to tell you in person.  It’s eating me inside that I haven’t been able to do this earlier, but I think our friendship has grown to something pretty nice now and I tried to do it before you went away in November but you were so busy I couldn’t get a block of time with you to do it properly.
First of all I want to say I have been telling you a great big lie, and my guess is that you knew the truth all along, and I lied to you because I wanted your friendship, and 5 years ago when I hardly knew you I didn’t know that we would end up as close as we are now.  I have always thought that you would have been cool about anything I told you, so my lying was absolutely about my issues and insecurities, not because I didn’t trust you.
So the thing I need to tell you is I am gay.  I have been battling coming to terms with it for a while and I guess I have only really owned it the last 6 months.
I have always found guys hot, but I liked women as well so I thought if I meet the right girl I would go down the easy path and make it work with a girl.  It is incredibly easy to get sex in the gay world, so nearly all my sexual activity has been with guys.  But I never used to get close to them emotionally and only liked women for intimacy.  But that has changed recently and I am finding that I am able to be emotionally close with guys as well now.
I’m still not sure which way my life with go in the end, but at this point of time I think it is heading down the gay path, and regardless if I do end up with a women I can’t keep seeing guys and telling you that they are women.
I am so sorry I lied to you for so long, I guess you can understand why I did, my parents are homophobic and never love me for who I am, so I have gotten into the habit of showing people a version of me that I think that they will like best.  I also didn’t know how gay tolerant your friends would be so I thought it best to stay in the closet around them for your sake and to make it easier for me to fit in.  I am only out to my close friends and I defiantly see you as one of them.   
I case you were wondering yes I did have a big crush on you for a long time, but I feel safe in telling you this now because you mean way more to me as a friend then as a good looking sexy guy.  I still think you are a beautiful man, but who you are as a person is what makes you truly sexy and attractive.

5 comments:

  1. wow.

    i couldn't read through it entirely because it still hurts me alot to think about how i am going to come out to my parents. So i just skimmed over it hoping that I could get the gist of it without the emotional shock.

    Coming out takes alot out of you because you have to deal with a truth that you just never want anyone to know.

    So ive always hid behind a tough exterior with phrases like " i take it up the ass deal with it" but deep inside i know that I am not brave, being brave means exposing yourself to your core, laying it all out on the line, taking the biggest gamble with no defences and hoping that the person on the receiving end doesn't stomp on your heart and make you suffer when you're most vulnerable.

    I hope your friend takes it the right way, and I hope ur boyfriend isn't too jealous that u have the hots for ur hottie friend!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassius,
    That's a really raw piece of writing you've done. Good job with trying to get past the front you've been showing... if it's not too late, I just thought I'd suggest that you leave out the last paragraph until your friendship firms up a bit more after this. It may be a little bit much to handle.

    Anyway, just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last part is a shocker... but that is the thing... u may as well shock them in one go coz when they find out ur gay they are already 95% shocked so the last bit won't get too big a reaction hopefully n u would have killed 2 birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow so did you give this letter to him? Or did you just tell him? I'm with Geek Buck- i reckon you could leave that last part out! You don't want to make the friendship awkward! I'm happy to be reading about how at peace you seem to be with who you really are these days darlink. You're an awesome guy and I'd love you whether you were straight, gay, in denial or out, but now you love you too which means a lot to me, because even though I can't be there to support you I can believe that you're happy :). Lizzy T xx

    ReplyDelete